ADHD and ADD Counselling
At Simon Turmanis & Associates Clinical Psychologists, we provide counselling for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). ADHD and ADD affect a child’s behaviour, social interaction, learning ability, and can put a strain on the whole family. It is natural for young children to have a short attention span and to act on impulses. ADHD and ADD represent extreme behavioural cases that can benefit from counselling and other treatments.
If you think you have a child with ADHD or ADD, you are probably feeling a range of emotions about it, including anger, frustration, guilt, sadness, and exhaustion. However overwhelmed you feel, remember that many children who have been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD have responded positively with treatment and gone on to become successful, happy adults.
Signs of ADHD and ADD
If a child is unable to ‘settle down’, this is not necessarily a sign of ADHD or ADD. Children go through a number of developmental phases that can cause them to become disruptive. If a child has ADHD or ADD, they will display certain signs and symptoms. These include being:
- unable to focus their attention or concentrate
- easily distracted
- disruptive at home and at school.
Children with ADHD or ADD will also usually have trouble getting along with their peers.
Treatment for ADHD and ADD
Treatment for ADHD and ADD can involve a multi-faceted approach to change a child’s home life and school life. Counselling plays an important role in treating ADHD and ADD, and medication may also be required.
Counselling can involve some or all of the following:
- cognitive therapy—help with problem solving and self control
- behaviour modification—changing the way a child acts and rewarding them for good behaviour
- anger management—coping skills, relaxation techniques and stress management
- social training—improving self esteem and social interaction with peers
- family counselling—helps all family members to understand and cope with the child’s behaviour.
If your child is showing signs of ADHD or ADD and you would like a professional opinion, contact one of our client liaison officers to arrange an appointment time. We care about families, and we have experience in diagnosing and treating ADHD and ADD as well as helping other family members cope with the child’s condition.